Monday, July 23, 2012

Nutrition- Food allergies in pets

Food Allergies in Pets
Is This More Common Than We Realize?wilbur
Here is part one of a series on food allergies in cats and dogs. I haven't seen anyone who has written anything similar for parrots. I know several people with parrots with specific food allergies. I find it interesting that in cats and dogs (one of my cats went through this) many of the symptoms are in the skin.  I just wonder how many parrots with plucking problems start it because of food allergies.

I think it's interesting that this DVM points out that HEAT can denature proteins and cause a food to become an allergen. As we know, pellets are processed with high heat when they are extruded, plus they are mostly grains, some of which are GMO, which have problems in and of themselves.  There is evidence that just the extrusion process, in addition to the heat, may alter the grain proteins.

Some food for thought in this article.

I'm not connected with this web site nor am I advocating any of their products or supplements.  They do have some good articles from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment